What is the `Alim Course?
The `Alim Course is a comprehensive study of the Islamic sciences, which allows students to go beyond the basics of Islam and begin their journey treading the path of the greatest men that ever walked on the face of the earth, the `Ulama'.
Allah Ta`ala says: "It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allah." [Al-Fatir: 28]
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, “The virtue of an `Alim over a pious worshipper is like the virtue I have over the lowest among you.” [Tirmidhi]
Subjects and Student Outcomes
Students devote up to eight hours a week to study the primary classical subjects taught globally throughout the Islamic world for over a thousand years. Some of those subjects along with their relevant outcomes are as follows:
- Islamic Law: Correctly perform wuḍū’ and Salah, identify the detailed rulings pertaining to fasting, giving Zakah, performing Hajj, financial matters, and laws of Halal and Haram (al-Hazr wa 'l-Ibahah), and how to navigate through each while remaining free from committing errors.
- Beliefs & Creed: Identify the fundamental beliefs of a Muslim and provide arguments against common objections regarding Islamic theology and philosophical implications of Islamic thought, and learn to successfully navigate issues that seemingly put current worldviews and scientific theories at odds with Islamic beliefs.
- Islamic History: Study and analyze the life of the best of creations and apply characteristics of the Prophet ﷺ to our daily lives.
- Etiquette & Manners: Understand and display the correct manners of a student of knowledge (ṭālib al-`ilm) and practically illustrate methods to increase our overall connection with Allāh Ta`ālā, while illustrating methods of navigating common spiritual maladies such as jealousy (hasad), animosity (`adawah), hedonism and materialism (hubb al-mal), pride (takabbur), etc.
- Arabic Grammar: Form and analyze sentences in Arabic along with identification of the final letter (i`rāb) of each letter and learn to navigate basic to intermediate texts of classical Islamic Sciences.
- Arabic Morphology: Conjugate and produce a plethora of different verb forms of Arabic words using only the root-letters of any word.
- Arabic Literature: Identify Arabic parts of speech along with basic syntax of Arabic sentences and practically apply concepts learned through Arabic Grammar and Arabic Morphology.
- Tajweed: Articulate each letter of the Arabic language correctly (makharij) along with the peculiarities of each letter's attributes (sifat) while practically applying rules specific to the Qur'an such as madd, rules of nun sakin and tanween, and rules of heavy and light pronunciations (tarqiq and tafkhim).
Our beloved Prophet ﷺ has warned that one of the signs of the last day is the disappearance of knowledge and the spread of nescience. As we continue to drift further away from the times of our pious predecessors (al-salaf as-ṣāliḥ), the effort required to hold on to their legacy is even greater.
This `Ālim program immerses students into the world of traditional Islamic scholarship, passed down from generation to generation, beginning with our beloved Prophet ﷺ and his noble companions (may Allah be pleased with them). Along the way, students will form a deep connection with the language of the Qur’ān and learn to experience the message sent down from Allah Ta`ālā in a manner experienced by the scholars of the past. The Classical Arabic portion allows students to form this connection, and the Core Islamic Sciences portion allows students to see the materialization of the message in the Qur’ān and Ḥadīth.
Say, “Can those who know and those who do not know become equal?” It is only the people of understanding who are receptive of the advice. [Surah Az-Zumar (39): 9]
Mufti Bilal Mohammad
Mawlana Dr. Mateen Khan
Mawlana Numaan Cheema
Mufi Niaz Hannan
Mawlana Asif Karim
Mawlana Kariim Ali
To view the bio. of the instructors, please visit the following page: Our Team
In order to enroll into the Part-Time `Alim program for the fall semester, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Applicant must be at least 16 years of age or higher*
- Applicant must be able to independently read the Qur'an (with or without Tajweed)
- Brothers only
*Applicants who are fourteen or fifteen years of age may be considered for enrollment upon a secondary review.
The course will require a total of 8 hours of instructional time per week spread throughout two weeknights and one morning on the weekend.*
Mondays & Wednesdays: 7:30 PM - 10 PM
Saturdays: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
*Timings may fluctuate depending on the schedules of the students.
Our campus is currently located on JFK Blvd., Somerset, NJ 08873. Exact address will be provided to accepted students only.
$600 per semester.
Monthly payment plans also available.
Tuition Discount is available for eligible applicants.
If any student is unable to pay the full tuition amount, then please do not hesitate to contact us. Our goal is to provide traditional Islamic knowledge to all students who have a drive to learn.